I am a post-doctoral researcher at Cooperation Systems Center Munich at Bundeswehr University Munich. My research group is set in the area of computer supported work (CSCW) with a special focus on Enterprise 2.0. Besides we are consulting companies that wish to unleash the big potential of Enterprise 2.0 for their business.
Already during my studies I had been confronted with Knowledge Management and Social Software and thought that connecting people via platforms seemed to be the only reasonable way to meet the challenges of our changing economy. In 2006 I decided to join Michael Koch who has many years of experience in the CSCW area and did my PhD on platforms for social networking.
In a narrower sense (and in my research context) Enterprise 2.0 means the adoption of Social Software to support collaboration in and between enterprises. Since, in the long run, this may also affect work practices and corporate culture I am also ok to say that E20 is about transforming a company.
We are still doing research on this and I can tell you there is a bunch of potentials. 😉 At this point my opinion is that Social Software is just naturally supporting what people would do anyway. I think this is also an important learning that some (IT) guys still may not realize yet: "Don't expect people to behave different on your platform than they would do in reality."
The main challenge is to understand what people want to do (i.e. to understand work practices) and how we can support this with Social Software. The biggest thread, that I see is that people do not understand the potential of transparency and speed of social software â" in positive (awareness) and negative (data security, information overload, burn-out).
Collaboration - Networking - Research
- [[http://www.scribd.com/doc/31621814/Corporate-Social-Networking-Sites-%E2%80%93-Modes-of-Use-and-Appropriation-through-Co-Evolution">Corporate Social Networking Sites â" Modes of Use and Appropriation through Co-Evolution]]
- [[http://www.scribd.com/doc/44264677/ACIS2010-Riemer-Richter-Social-Software-Agents-for-Change-or-Platforms-for-Social-Reproduction-A-Case-Study-on-Enterprise-Microblogging">Social Software: Agents for Change or Platforms for Social Reproduction? A Case Study on Enterprise Microblogging]]
- [[http://www.amazon.de/Enterprise-2-0-Einf%C3%BChrung-erfolgreicher-Unternehmen/dp/3486590545">Enterprise 2.0: Planung, EinfÃ¼hrung und erfolgreicher Einsatz von Social Software in Unternehmen]]
- [[http://blog.enterprise2open.com/2011/07/28/expert-profile-dr-alexander-stocker/">Alexander Stocker]]
- [[http://sydney.edu.au/business/staff/kair">Kai Riemer]]
- [[http://schaeferblick.wordpress.com/">Sebastian SchÃ¤fer]]
- [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCc8DmaZCVg">and not to forget my (PhD) father-in-spirit 😉 Michael Koch]]